Friday, May 16, 2008

Stickies: A Great Application!

“Stickies” is a helpful tool for so many reasons. You can use “Stickies” to keep track of deadlines, to remind yourself of necessary supplies for an upcoming project, or even to keep track of information for a topic you are researching.

To get started you will need to open this program. Since it is probably not on your dock, click on the desktop icon that says “Macintosh HD”. Then, click on “Applications”, and scroll down until you see “Stickies”. If you would like to add to this to your dock (which I definitely recommend), click on the icon and drag it to your dock. Otherwise, just click on the icon.

Once you open this application, different colored post-its will appear. If you only need one, simply click on the left corner of the note. To add a note, click on “File” and then “New Note”. You can make the note translucent by clicking on “Note” and then “Translucent Window”. To make the note float on top of all of your documents no matter what application you open, choose “Note” and then “Floating Window”. This is best for research on various websites and maybe not as helpful for reminders and conferences.

One way that I have used “Stickies” is to make my notes different colors depending on if they are for school or home. I have two notes open, then I change the note’s color by choosing “Color” and then selecting my color of choice. I personally made my “Work” note green and my “Home” note blue. This way, any reminders I need to jot down for home or school I can add to the particular note. Anytime you open the application, these reminders reappear. For research, I open a new note, make it floating, and copy information that I want to use (Apple + C), and paste it onto the note (Apple + V). Don’t forget to record where you get your information, though!

This is a neat application that you can use for any reminders, notes, research, to-do lists....who knows! Please share any uses that you discover using the comments feature of this blog.

1 comment:

Mrs. Henry said...

Great information! I will defiantly use stickies to keep track of all the tasks we are asked to accomplish.